Book an Appointment
Have some Questions?
Spinal Decompression Surgery is a term referred to a procedure in which a compressed spinal cord or nerve root is relieved of pressure caused by disc bulge, thickened facet joints, loosened ligaments or bony growth. Most procedures require removal of bone which is close to spinal cord or nerve root. This is a slow procedure. It demands precision and experience.
In the current scenario, mechanical tools like nibbler or kerrison punch (an instrument which can nibble bone with a foot guard attached) are used in the spinal procedures.
In addition there are also motorised tools such as high speed burr which can remove bone, however since it moves at high speed, there is a possibility of it to grab soft tissue like nerve root or spinal cord, which can cause harm to patient.
With this technology, several problems associated with yesteryear tools can be avoided. Following are deemed as clear advantages of Bone Scalpel.
1. Bone scalpel makes spine surgery safe as it is soft tissue sparing.
2. Bone Scalpel helps the surgeon for precise and accurate procedure.
3. Bone scalpel is known to reduce any potential damage to neural structures during decompression procedure which may be associated with conventional tools.
4. Bone Scalpel cuts down the time of surgical procedure by 35%.
5. Bone Scalpel helps in preserving the spinal architecture if.
Bone Scalpel, manufactured by Misonix, USA uses ultrasonic (sound) energy to cut bone without damaging soft tissue around it. Hence making it very safe tool for spinal procedures. The handpiece has a tip which has a piston like micromotions of 70-80 microns (which is less than 1/4th of human hair thickness) and vibrates at a frequency if 22,500 cycles/sec. The tip has immense cutting power against any hard substance like bone but does not cut soft tissues like nerve root or spinal cord.